Sexy or subdued, reflective or textured, black grounds the kitchen with its singular brand of elegance. The black kitchen trend illuminates subtle details, creating depth while letting food take center stage. Whether it's lightened and brightened with pure white walls or accented with gleaming geometric tile and copper details, a black kitchen makes a definitive statement.
A Traditional Take on the Black Kitchen
A melange of elements--wood, glass and stone--are the raw ingredients in this cooking and entertaining space created by legendary kitchen designer Christopher Peacock. The designer started with a palette of black and white, adding glamour with mixed metals and bold details. Ebony cabinetry provides a rich counterpoint to white walls and light wood floors, while the sink-and-faucet workspace heroes keep the style streamlined and the functionality professional-chef worthy.
Tips for a Traditional Black Kitchen
- Choose cabinetry with furniture-style details in a deep, dark color for a look of pure elegance.
- For function that approaches the professional level, choose a sink with easy-to-clean curved corners in premium 16-gauge stainless steel.
- Add richness with brass finishes on drawer pulls and lighting.
Love this trend? Explore the Eastside Elegance Kitchen moodboard.
Clean and Contemporary Black Kitchen
Black goes opulent in a cooking space for avid entertainers in San Francisco’s Presidio Heights. Rich wood countertops, glass chevron tile and quartz wall coverings create a layered, luxurious look, while f loor-to-ceiling midnight black cabinets and appliances set against the painted wood floors create a grandeur that's winningly warm. Modern details like a clean-lined stainless steel sink and sleek cabinet pulls combined with a vintage faucet style add an eclectic, contemporary vibe.
Tips for a Contemporary Black Kitchen
- For an eclectic contemporary look, combine a vintage-style faucet with a clean-lined stainless steel sink.
- Bring light into a black kitchen with a greenhouse-style window and plenty of plants.
- Gleaming copper pans and accessories bring welcome reflective light into a darker kitchen.
Love this trend? Explore our Onyx Opulence moodboard.